Among the variety of flowers, some gardeners opt for the wonderful plant Lythrum. In the people it is also called plakun-grass, boron cane, podpozhnik. This interesting shrub with abundant pink or purple blooms will decorate any garden area.
Darling is well known in folk medicine due to its medicinal qualities. This herb can stop bleeding, have a diuretic effect, and is also used for fever, colic, colds, toxemia during pregnancy. Simply put, the plant deserves attention. How to grow this grass in your garden?
Types of idiot
- Gingerbread Pink Pearl - This is one of the varieties of boron reed. Petals lilac color with shades of pink. It is hardy and unpretentious for home planting. The first shoots occur on day 20. Can be sown in open ground. Flowering begins in the second year of life. Pruned shoots must be removed. It tolerates pruning.
- Derbyennik Lady Sackville has a pronounced purple hue of a star-shaped flower. Buds are spike. The height of the bush reaches 1.5 meters. It grows well in swampy areas, as well as in ventilated watery areas. Suitable for mixes with other plants.
- Blush has a distinctive feature - in the fall the foliage turns bright red. Flowers pale pink tone. Height 90−130 cm. Planted from seeds.
- Robert whistle often used for decorating gardens and landscape flaws. Plant up to 90 cm high. The shade is bright purple. It is adapted both on solar sites, and shady places. It is frost-resistant, easily maintains 40-degree cold without shelter. Care is watering, pruning and weeding.
External characteristics and habitat
The best place for borovogo reeds is a swampy plain. The Far East and Western Siberia are rich in derben. The plant is also found in large quantities in Ukraine, the Caucasus and the Republic of Belarus. Willowbill Gadfly prefers sandy soils, marsh and flood meadows.
In total there are about 15 species of plakun-grass. The most well-known representatives of the dicotyledonous family are pink pearls, Lady Sackville, Blush, Robert Derbert.
The variety has a well-developed root system. The bush grows in a bunch. At home, you can propagate both seeds, and division and grafting. Plant height not more than one and a half meters. Stems dense, resilient. Leaves sessile, thin, staggered. On the back side are the stomata, which remove excess moisture. It may seem that the plant is shedding tears. Due to this feature, the weasel is called plakun-grass.
Borov reed blossoms from July to October. Inflorescences are located at the top of the stems. The bud has 6 petals of pink or violet tone. The plant is a honey plant. During flowering attracts bees. The finished product has a tart taste and a unique aroma.
Planting and care
Along with the wild habitat, the plant adapts superbly on private estates. Since it loves moisture, it should be planted in a ventilated shady place with high humidity. Plakun-grass is often used for decorating lawn flowerbeds and landscape design. How to properly plant a wolf foliage?
- Before planting it is necessary to prepare the soil. Reed loves peat and drainage lands, grows poorly in too dense soil. An ideal place for planting will be the edge of the lake, because the plant is not afraid of stagnant waters.
- It is necessary to dig a hole commensurate with the root of the process. If several stepsons land, the distance between the holes is at least 50 cm, or even more.
- A drainage mixture is poured at the bottom - it is crushed stone or coarse sand. Above laid out a layer of compost. Do not ignore this step, since the initial fertilizer when planting later gives abundant flowering over the years of the dungster's life. Plakun grass does not tolerate nitrogen in the soil, so avoid adding humus during planting.
- The hole is abundantly spilled with water. After absorbing moisture, the ditch should be filled to the brim again.
- The shoot is planted in a hole with a lump of old soil, so the bush is less sick and soon takes root to a new place.
- Over the earthy coma, humus is again filled up in order to keep the moisture in the hole for as long as possible.
- The pit is leveled with fresh soil and, if necessary, the bush is reinforced with supports. The entire seedling is abundantly sprayed with a stream of water (it is better to spray with a watering can).
An important point when growing idiot is a constant abundant watering, especially in the dry season. Do not be afraid that the plant will begin to rot with an excess of moisture. The reed boron independently removes unwanted moisture through the leaves.
- As dry shoots appear, they must be immediately removed to avoid self-seeding. New roots are exposed to the same procedure. Otherwise, the bush will quickly grow in width.
- If the plakun-grass is not planted near the reservoir, the plant requires abundant watering throughout the growing season.
- To give the grass a neat look, you can build a frame around the perimeter. So it will be more convenient to navigate where the new shoots appeared, and remove them.
- Timely weeding from weeds will not allow pests to penetrate deep into the plant.
- Loosening the land also has a positive effect on the maturation of the shallow.
- As the bushes grow, you should regularly pinch, betraying the decorative form to the perennial.
- Before the onset of winter, the crater must be prepared for “hibernation”. In October or November, a total pruning of the bush. To prevent the grass from interfering with the snow period, the entire above-ground part of the jig is clipped almost to the root system. Only 10–15 cm from the stalks are left on top of the soil. No additional shelter required.
Reproduction of plakun grass
Perennial easily multiplies in three known ways. It is important to remember that frequent transplantation of the same plant negatively affects the general state of health of the plant. It is better to resort to the division of a particular bush once within 3-4 years.
- Planting plants immediately in open ground. This method can be carried out both in autumn and in early spring, when the snow will only come down. But this method will stretch over two years of growing the sticks before it blooms.
- To get the "harvest" in the summer, you need to plant reeds in early spring. Seeds are sown on the surface of the soil and sprayed with water. Then the box is covered with a film to create a greenhouse effect.
- You can also wait for the seeds to ripen and self-seeding will occur.
Maternal shrub derbennika need to dig out of the soil. Mature reeds have a strong root system, so in order to cut it you will need an ax or a cleaver. It is not necessary to divide the loot into many small processes, they will take a long time or they will die. A seedling should have as many roots as possible in order to grow faster.
In the spring of young shoots must be torn off or cut from the green mother bush along with a small piece of bark. Such seedlings quickly take root in a new place and develop their own root system.
Cutting can be carried out at the beginning of summer. The butchers should have 2 internodes each. In this case, the lower leaves of the shoot must be completely removed, and the upper ones should be cut in half. The cut is processed by a growth stimulator (Heteroauxin, Cornevin). This shoot is planted in fertilized soil under a plastic bottle with an open neck. When the first leaves, greenhouse can be removed.
An important and one and only pest for the podberezhnik is aphid. It must be remembered that the plant is honey-bearing, so the use of insecticides is inappropriate. Perfectly copes with the infection boiled onion peel or citrus infusion.
A popular pest remedy is nectar from tomato tops. This decoction is easy to make and it is absolutely safe for animals, insects, and people. It is necessary to boil 10 liters of water. Add 2 kg of green leaf to the hot liquid and leave for 4–5 hours. Then boil the mixture for 30 minutes. This solution is processed bush every 7−10 days, at least. The first defense should be carried out in the spring.
The poison that is found in tomato leaves, disappears when the sun's rays appear.
Seeds of idiot are sown on a seedling bed. They do it in early spring, after the snow has come down. You can plant this plant in the fall, in mid-October. If you plant it in the fall - it will bloom next year. If you want to see flowers in the first year, the seeds should be sown in March. The seed planting itself is superficial.
After you have planted seeds with seeds - it is necessary to spray it with a spray bottle, and then cover it with plastic wrap. You can also use glass for this, it will help create a greenhouse effect, and therefore seedlings will ascend much faster. The best temperature for a flower to grow is 15-18 degrees Celsius. After looking through the first three or four leaves, the seedlings of the plant should be seated in individual cups. As soon as the weather sets, and the frost will no longer threaten sowing - you can transplant seedlings to its permanent habitat. The optimal distance between plants should be about 40 centimeters.
Of course, the junkie just loves the wet soil in shaded places, but this does not prevent it from growing well in sunny areas. Of course, this is an unpretentious plant, it does not require care, you can simply plant it and forget about it for a long time, but if you are still ready to care for it, then there is nothing complicated about it. You just need to monitor its growth, limit it and cut off the aboveground part by the onset of winter.
Watering and fertilizer
As already mentioned, due to the fact that the jug loves moisture - it must be constantly and abundantly watered. That's the whole care. By the way, if you plant it near an artificial reservoir, then there will be no problems at all. From fertilizers it is recommended to use compost, high-moor peat, and during the flowering period - mineral fertilizers will be very helpful. Ensure that fertilizers do not contain nitrogen.
Plakun-grass, as it is also called derbennik, can grow in one place for many years, but if you wish, you can make a transplant, it will endure it perfectly. To divide the rhizome - use an ax and a shovel, no matter how bloodthirsty it may sound. This plant is very resistant to various pests, diseases, at times it may suffer from aphids, but no more.
It is safe to draw conclusions that if you want a beautiful garden with minimal effort, then choose a seedling for planting! He will not make you worry, care for him is practically not required, he is unpretentious, unlike the same capricious roses, and he also attracts butterflies to the garden. It's just wonderful, but the photo and video confirmation!