A small insect is a small insect whose female individuals and larvae draw nourishing juices from plants. Often it affects fruit trees, which negatively affects the state of the plantations and the harvest. To avoid this, the gardener should be familiar with methods of dealing with the shield on the sink.
Brief description of the pest
Shchitovki (Latin name - Diaspididae) - a family of insects that live around the world. They are known as pests of wild, cultivated and ornamental plants, causing great damage to gardening. Science assigns to them 2400 species, of which plum, carpaceous and Californian shchitovka most often strike plums. The latter, despite its foreign name, is distributed in Russia, Ukraine, Moldova and other neighboring countries.The shield is very resistant to low temperatures: it dies when the thermometer drops below -35 ° C in winter
Insects breed, laying eggs. Soon, the larvae appear from them, and then adult individuals. They are characterized by a pronounced sexual dimorphism: females are very different from males in their appearance and characteristics of life activity:
- The body of the females is protected by hard shell - a rounded shield, reaching up to several mm in diameter. Its color depends on the species and age of the individual. She has no paws, mustache, wings and even eyes. The female shitovki spends all her life in one place, sticking to the plum runaway.
- The male looks completely different: it is a small, winged midge with antennae, legs and eyes colored in purple-red color. The male is circling around the plants, but does not cause them any harm: only females and larvae feed on the plant sap.
- Larvae molt several times, gradually becoming similar to adults. For growth they need nutrients, and they suck them out of the shoots of plums. Beginning from the second instar of the larva, the male appears dividing into the head, chest and rudiments of wings. Individuals of the female overgrow a dense scutellum, and their wings and eyes are reduced.
Shchitovki visually look like growths on the bark of plums. They live mainly in colonies consisting of insects that differ in age. Single individuals are extremely rare.
Damage to plum
The harm from the shitovki on the plum is that it spoils this fruit tree, feeding on its juices. This is to the detriment of the general condition and growth of the harvest. The insect multiplies rapidly: up to 2 generations of the pest appear in a climate of the middle zone during a season. Each female shchitovki under favorable conditions can give life to 120 - 400 new individuals.
If you let the situation take its course, the pest colony is rapidly growing in number and size of trees in the garden.
Plums are waning. With the long-term presence of insects in the garden, planting may not produce any crop at all. There is a high risk that without the use of effective methods of destroying a pest, the trees will begin to dry out and die completely.Shchitovka - insects that do not know how to overcome long distances, so most often they fall into the garden on infected seedlings
Signs of infection
One can suspect that the shield has struck the plum by the following signs:
- The appearance on the shoots and leaves of the tree scales yellow-brown, which is very difficult to remove. They can be either slightly flattened or convex.
- At the bark its natural luster disappears.
- Education on the branches and trunks of plum frozen juice stains.
- The leaves stick together with each other.
- The branches of the tree dry up.
- Plant growth slows down or stops.
If there are such signs, then you need to thoroughly examine the plum and adjacent plantations to assess the critical scale of infection. Based on this, choose the means to combat pest.
The main methods of struggle
The insect has a protective shell, which makes the process of dealing with it time consuming. If shchitovki managed to multiply, then you can not do without the use of chemical insecticides. The plant is sprayed with them in 3-4 procedures until complete destruction of the insets. When there are very few pests or a crop ripens, which does not allow the use of toxic substances, then folk or biological means can be used.
To make the fight easier or to protect the garden from the scale, you need to keep it in order:
- trim and thin out the crown as needed,
- clean the trunk of dead particles of bark, moss and lichen,
- cut off infected shoots and burn them,
- remove shoots in the root zone.
Each new plant brought to the site should be carefully examined and quarantined. The seedling can not be placed in the garden until it is completely free from pests.
Chemical insecticides show very good results in the fight against the shield. They contain toxic substances that cause the death of the pest. But, so that the toxic compounds do not accumulate in the fruits of the plum, the treatment must be carried out either long before ripening, or after harvesting. The exact timing is indicated in the instructions for each drug.
"Workers" insecticides against flakes:
- "" The drug 30 (B) ", used in early spring, has not yet appeared buds. He will destroy the larvae that hibernate in the bark.
- Aktara is a systemic insecticide that is used both for spraying and for basal irrigation of young plum seedlings.
- "Actellic" containing organophosphorus compounds. An effective, but toxic agent, which is not recommended for use near the house.
- "Konfidor Extra".
It is recommended to change insecticides so that the insects do not develop immunity to them.
One-time processing will not bring results. Flags are well protected with wax shell, which protects them from poisons. Therefore, it will take at least 3 spraying plums, held a week from each other.When working with chemical insecticides, it is important to follow safety rules and use personal protective equipment.
The fight against the shield on the sink can be conducted with the use of folk remedies. But such methods will bring the desired result only if there are very few insects. In recipes for processing fruit trees there are no human poisoning compounds, and their use of folk remedies is safe for health. Here are some of them:
- A simple solution of 10 g of laundry soap in 10 liters of water.
- 50 g of green soap diluted in water of 10 liters.
- 10 g of soda ash per 10 liters of water.
- Infusion of "caustic" plants: garlic, walnut, shag and wormwood.
- Emulsion from machine oil and soap solution. The optimal proportion is 1:10. Can be used 1 time per decade.
Such tools are used for spraying plums. Treatments, as with the use of chemicals, should be carried out at intervals of 7–10 days.
If the flap is very small, then the affected area can simply be wiped with a cotton piece moistened in one of the means or folded gauze.
Biological studies have identified the natural enemies of the insects, which are now used to combat pest:
- Ladybugs, especially the kidney-shaped and double-stranded hilocorus, reduce the number of the sheath by 50–70% if released into the garden in May. One individual can eat approximately 700 larvae.
- The small Prospaltella perniciosi rider is also effective against the pest.
- Popular biopreparations containing nematodes or fungi can be used to destroy the scale insects: Aversectin, Avertin and Nemabakt.
They do not contain toxic substances, so after their use the crop will be safe. Biologics do not harm the plum itself.
Choosing a way to combat the shield on the sink, it is necessary to properly assess the scale of infection and the real threat. To better result, you can combine chemical, folk and biological preparations with each other. It is important to follow the instructions and do not forget about the regularity: skipping one treatment, you have to start all over again.
Shchitovka and its species
The peculiarity of this insect is manifested in the presence of a protective shield consisting of the remnants of the scales of the larva glued together by its secretions. Outwardly, such a shell is very similar to irregularities in the surface of the bark of trees, which makes it difficult to visually detect the pest.
The size of the insect does not exceed 5 mm, its main occupation is to suck the juice from the plants, therefore it is necessary to fight the shield in the garden, otherwise, when it is mass-produced, the bark, fruits and ovaries on the tree will be covered with placers of these pests. Insects also secrete honeydew, which becomes a breeding ground for the reproduction of soot fungi, which is why the diseased plants gradually dry out and die.
Signs of settlement shchitovki:
- yellow spots appear on the leaves, then they turn yellow completely, twist and fall from the branches,
- bark cracks, thin and thicker branches begin to fall off,
- there is a growth inhibition of the tree, which can lead to its complete drying out and death.
Infected trees are most susceptible to infection with a weakened tree; an excess of nitrogen fertilizers, insufficient illumination of plants, lack of moisture, and dry air also affect their appearance.
- Californian - affects fruit trees: apples, peaches, plums, etc. On the branches of a pear, the shield looks like small dots with colored dots or a rim.
- The comma-shaped body has a white body, similar in shape to a comma, looks like a growth on the bark of a tree up to 4 mm in size, on top of the female there is a shield of light brown color. During reproduction, the female lays up to 100 eggs and dies, and the nest, covered with protective armor, safely hibernates even at frosts down to -30 ° C. In spring, young “strollers” of yellow color of microscopic size of about 0.3 mm in search of food quickly move along the tree trunk, at such a moment they are easiest to find. Then they stick to a specific place of the cortex and “grow” to it, throwing off the legs.
- Willow flap guard - different from other species by its wide and flat shell of white or gray color, size 1.8-2.5 mm. Females have a body of a yellow-red hue, they lay purple-red eggs. The willow shchitovka on currants, raspberries, gooseberries, as well as willow, bird cherry, aspen and other trees.
With the onset of spring heat, with the onset of sap flow, all generations of insects are awakened and ready for vigorous activity. The larvae are settled in all branches, leaves, shoots on the tree. The larvae feed on plant sap, sucking on its leaves. This time is ideal for the main pest control phase.
The shield on the apple and other fruit is able to completely cover the trunk and branches, because of which dying of the damaged bark, dropping of diseased leaves, drying of thin branches occurs. Sick trees are more easily affected by other pests: bark and black cancer. On felt cherries, they can damage all small shoots and leaves in a few days.
The spread of insects between trees occurs through the crawling of the larvae of "strollers" along the closed branches.
Methods of struggle
A plitovka on a plum, on a sweet cherry and other fruit is scraped from the bark with a metal brush or a special scraper, and adult females must be destroyed together with laid eggs. With strong irreversible damage, pruning of dead branches and their burning is done.
On saplings, the found-out placers of the shield are removed by a mechanical method, as well as additionally washing the branches with a solution of household soap. Similarly, struggling with the parasite and decorative indoor plants.
But young larvae, especially in their moving period, are exposed to pesticides.
Before you start fighting with the shield on cherries and other fruits, you must consider the following rules:
- well water the surrounding landings,
- it is recommended to first test non-toxic methods of struggle,
- spraying soapy water can be done no more than once every 7 days, it is better to use a mild liquid soap,
- to improve the effectiveness of drugs should be used alternately.
After scraping the tree must be treated with insecticides. Experts recommend the following drugs:
- Actellic - an emulsion to combat garden pests, is not addictive, but it is dangerous for animals and people, because it has a strong smell,
- Aktara is a highly effective remedy, dangerous for bees, it is not used in residential premises,
- Bitoxibacillin - a drug with live bacteria, safe for people and animals, the smell is absent, but the treatment must be done several times. It acts only when the air temperature is above + 18˚С,
- The preparation 30 is an environmentally safe means, used in spring before flowers appear on trees.
When using all of the above means, you must wear protective clothing, a respirator and gloves, so as not to get poisoned.
- Apply a solution of rubbed soap and chopped garlic in proportion with water 1: 1: 3. Sick plants need to be sprayed, and after a day to wash with clean water from a hose. Repeat the procedure every 3 days until the parasites disappear.
- Onion infusion is made of 4 onions, filled with 1 liter of water, insist 3-4 hours, then strain and apply for spraying.
- Freshly chopped hot pepper 100 g pour a liter of water and cook for 10-15 minutes, then insist day and filter. When processing, green soap is added at the rate of 10 g of pepper tincture and 5 g of soap per 1 liter of water,
- 300 g of wood ash pour 1 liter of boiling water, cook for 30 minutes, cool and strain, dilute with water up to 10 l and spray planting.
- 3-4 kg of fresh celandine insist in 10 liters of water a day, can be used for watering and treating trees.
To combat the shield on peach, cherry, etc. You can apply biological methods:
- predatory wasps or ladybugs released on fruit bushes and trees are able to quickly eat pests, and then just fly away for prey further,
- the use of a weak solution of liquid soap with water (2 tsp. per 3.5 liters) to wash the stems and leaves on both sides will help in the fight against the shield,
- even more effective will be the processing of special horticultural oil (nimovym).
To avoid pest infestation, it is necessary to purchase seedlings and cuttings for your garden only in specialized nurseries that guarantee the absence of diseases and pests.
Plitovka on plum: proven methods of struggle
The shield is a small insect and a very large pest. She can even conduct an experienced gardener with her disguise abilities. A description of a scale (including the Californian scale) and measures to combat it, a photo of the stages of development - all this can be found in the article.
How to recognize a pest
Shchitovok there are a large number of species. In our area, the most common:
- Californian shchitovka
- comma-shaped shield,
- acacia spatula,
- Plum pseudo shield
All these species are sucking insects harming the plants on which they live.
The main feature of all species is the presence of a protective shield of the remnants of the scales of the larvae, interconnected by insect secretions. This shell is easy to take for the natural unevenness of the bark of a tree. Such masking makes it difficult to detect pests.
While the larvae are still small, they move with great speed, and it is quite simple to find them during visual inspection.
In later stages, the insect becomes more visible due to the increase in its shell. They can be seen with the naked eye - in form they resemble whitish spots on the leaves and at the base of the branches.
Another sign of parasite dominance is the presence of sticky fluid on the leaves. This liquid (or pad) is also the source of another scourge - fungi. Insects can attack on almost all types of plants, especially like plums, apples, hawthorn, cherries.
In the population, females usually dominate. The number of males can be 18–20% of the total number of insects. During the period of existence, one female lays about 100 eggs.
In autumn, the female lays eggs and immediately dies. Her shield serves as a shelter for eggs for the winter. When the temperature rises to +10 ° C, the larvae crawl out of the shelter and crawl around the plant.
Their fussy fast movements are caused by a short lifespan without a power source. Having found a suitable place, the larva sticks to the tree and begins to feed heavily. They lose mobility, begin to be covered with down.
Within two weeks after hatching, the larvae molt and form their first shield. A month later, an adult female is formed from the larvae.
External signs of damage
The first sign of damage to the plant with shields can be considered the appearance on the leaves of whitish convex spots and growths, which are difficult to separate from the surface.
Листья покрываются падью (липкой жидкостью), теряют свой блеск, на поврежденных местах появляются проплешины, черные пятна. Щитовки создают колонии возле соединений веток со стволом и на нижней стороне листьев.
Еще один признак — это растрескивание коры деревьев. Помимо этого, такие трещины являются прекрасными укрытиями для личинок щитовки.
Профилактика и правила агротехники
In order to avoid the scale insects in the trees, as the first methods of control, prevent the development of these pests.
Since the insects are sedentary insects, the first rule of prevention is quarantine. Do not plant new plants right away. Do not plant them near other plants. Get saplings in the checked places, in good nurseries.
The second method of prevention - autumn digging of land in the garden and spring cleaning. Cutting off dried branches, thinning crowns, you minimize the risk of infection of plants.
Remove infected trees and plant parts in order to avoid transfer of pests to healthy trees.
Preparations from shchitovki
Without toxic chemicals to deal with the shield is very difficult. Therefore, the first thing worth talking about is chemical spraying of trees.
Important!A single treatment of plants with poisons will not work. Wax shields well protect adults from poisons. Repeat treatment spend 7 days. The total number of treatments should be more than three.
«Aktara»Insecticide-contact insecticide (thiamethoxam 250 g / kg and 240 g / l). Preparation rate for spraying 8 g / 10 l of water. 0.8 g / 1 liter of water. Use should be at infection. Consumption - up to 2 l / 100 sq. m
Closer to winter, the shield becomes longer and thicker than in summer. In the spring, the larvae awaken climbs on the stems of plants and begin to feed. With the onset of the cold autumn, the shitovki stop their reproduction.
Even in severe frosts, the scout does not freeze, and in spring gives numerous offspring.
Shchitovki can damage the leaves, stems, branches, trunks and fruits of trees. They put their long proboscis into plant tissue and start drinking juice.
As a result, the bark begins to crack and the tree dies. First, the leaves fall prematurely, then the tree lags behind in development and stops producing fruits, then the whole branches wither and the tree dies. Fruits damaged by this pest lose their commodity and taste, acquiring an ugly shape.
Control measures It is necessary to thin out the crowns of trees in a timely manner, getting rid of dry and broken branches. It is also important to destroy the radical growth, and to take all cut off parts off the site or to burn.
If the trees are damaged by a shield, carefully remove the damaged bark from the trunks on the spreading paper or oilcloth.
All mosses and lichens must also be cleaned. Prior to the bud break, spraying with 1% DNOC or CALL should be performed. In the summer, for the destruction of vagrants use drugs such as "Bts-58", "Aktaoz", "Admial".
Also, these drugs can be used for spraying berries, 35 days before harvest. It is also important to moisten the lower part of the trunk well with a solution of these drugs.
Shchitovka on apple: how to deal with a comma-like shield
Yablonnaya pryamovidnaya shchitovka (Lepidosaphes ulmi) - the most common type of pest in gardens. This is a very small insect, the food for it is the sap of the plants on which it settles. Let's see how to deal with the shield on the apple with the help of folk remedies.
How to identify the pest
On the bark of a tree or shrub inhabited by a shield, one can see curved, comma-like, gray-brown shields (takes on the shade of the bark of the affected tree), with a maximum length of 4 mm. Shields covered female or insect eggs.
When a tree or a bush is heavily settled, the bark is covered with a shield in a nearly continuous layer, the plant quickly loses its strength, the bark dies and leaves falls, young branches stop growing, and the tree becomes frost-resistant and prone to infection by other pests, fruit buds are not laid.
The distinctive sign of the apple tree-like scapula on fruits is that small red spots are clearly visible.
Insect prefers more apple trees, however, it can be found on pear, plum, currant, peach, cherry plum and mulberry. Often affects mountain ash or hawthorn. Less often settles on walnut or dogwood.
Insect egg winters under the shield and freely transfers the temperature to -32 °.
During or after the flowering of fruit trees (it is possible to focus on the flowering of the early apple variety Papirovka), eggs are reborn into a larva, the process lasts for two weeks.
Larvae - strollers crawl along a tree, find a comfortable place for themselves, stick to the bark of the trunk, young branches, as well as foliage and fruits, become practically motionless and become covered with a temporary shield. A maximum of three weeks the insect will pass the first molt.
Two days later, the structure of the scutum will change, which will grow as the larva grows. In a month, this is about July, the insect will pass the second molt, become a female.
A month later, the female will grow almost three times, and will occupy all the space under the shield, then the scythe begins to lay eggs and in about two months it will die. The female lays 60-90 eggs in August.
The apple shield has one generation. The insect males are much smaller.
The insect feeds on the fact that it sucks the sap of an apple (or other tree), starting with the reincarnation of strollers and until the death of females, that is, all summer. Feeding on the sap of the plant, the shield bug damages the cambium, from which the secondary conductive tissues of the tree originate.
Comma-lined insect on an apple tree - how to fight and prevent a strong spread of the pest
- If a pest is detected, preventive measures should be taken: thin the tops of the trees, prune the affected branches, if the pest has managed to destroy a tree or a bush, they must also be removed. All residues must be burned.
The cleaning procedure is repeated several times.
For more industrious summer residents, we present the simplest composition of the mixture for washing the parasite. The amount of each ingredient is designed for 10 liters of water:
- Laundry soap - 100 g,
- Green soap - 50 ml,
- Soda (soda) - 50 g
The method is laborious and does not give one hundred percent result, because cleaning is conveniently carried out only at a small height and on hard-leaved plants, and scythos, located in the foliage and cracks of the bark, will still remain. This way you can get rid of only 50% of the pest. But as they say, patience and work all wash away, grind and grind ...
- In order not to damage the garden, fruits and beneficial insect chemistry, affected trees and bushes can be sprayed with biological preparations, for example, Fitoverm or pick up others. The best period for spraying is from the end of June to the beginning of July.
- You can also add Fitoverm to the clay, dilute the mixture to the consistency of sour cream and whiten the infected skeletal branches. This whitewash occasionally needs to be updated, as the rain washes away putty from the top of the branches.
You need to keep an eye on the garden - this is the only way to get rid of the comma-shaped shield.
Timely pruning and removal of dry branches, trees and bushes will reduce the risk of pest infestation, and properly chosen garden spraying will help not only to get rid of unwanted guests, but also to keep useful insects. We hope that the proposed ecological ways to deal with the shield on the apple tree will be useful to you.
style = "display: block" data-ad-client = "ca-pub-1068385719114306 ″ data-ad-slot =" 3169814120 ″
Shchitovka - what it looks like, description
This pest infects plants in open beds, spreads with great speed, loves vegetables and fruits, parasitizes mainly on them. The name "shitovka" speaks for itself - the body of an insect about five millimeters in size is covered with a hard shell of brown color.
Signs of the appearance of scale
- If the shield has sucked to the leaf, a yellow speck appears on it, growing as the juice is sucked.
- The leaf becomes completely yellow.
- Occurs, twisting the sheet, it falls, the branches become bare.
- Plant growth stops, full drying begins.
- The plant dies.
If time does not come to grips with the shield, its massive and extremely rapid reproduction begins, the bark of the plant, ovaries and fruits are completely covered with these insects. In addition, the honey dew emitted by the shields gives food to soot fungi, which immediately settle on the affected plants. Particularly massively shchitovki breed in old, neglected gardens. The favorite place of settlement of adults is the place of closing the leaf cutting with a branch or trunk, and especially they love the underside of the leaf.
Comma-like shield: description of the pest
The adult female of this insect harms the plant most of all. In appearance, it is also unlike an insect - without eyes, without legs, just like a normal growth on the bark. The little body of the female, resembling a comma (hence the name) in a milky-white color, covers the shield about 4 mm long. If the female is alive, it is brownish, if dead, the color becomes darker.
The female is absolutely immobile, the meaning of her life is to lay eggs (up to one hundred) and die, which she does very successfully. Eggs hibernate beautifully, securely covered with a shield. They easily tolerate thirty degrees of cold. With the onset of spring, when the air warms up to +8, and an apple tree blooms, the posterity of the scythe is born.
Young larvae have a funny name - “tramp”, have a yellowish color and a length of 1/3 mm. Hungry strollers begin to rush fussily along a tree trunk in search of food, since starvation for more than two days is fatal for them. They give themselves out with this bustle, and it is during this period that it is possible to “calculate” them.
After sticking to the tasty and convenient place on the bark, they calm down, becoming motionless, as they simply “break” their legs. White wax fluff in a couple of weeks disappears after molting, begins to form a shield. And for this you need a lot of "building" material, so the larva tries its best, sucking as much juice from the plant as possible. Literally in a month - another molt and voila! - we have an absolutely adult individual, ready to breed.
Willow shield: description and harm
This shield is different from the comma-shaped form of the shield (it is rather wide and flat), the color is white or grayish in size — its average size is 2.5 mm by 1.8 mm. The body of the female is red-yellow in color, the eggs are red-violet. August-September - the period of laying eggs. One female lays from 20 to 70 pieces, which overwinter under the shield.
A few tips before starting work
- so that the use of chemicals does not affect other plants, does not harm the pets, it is recommended to first try less toxic methods,
- Before starting the treatment or planting of predator insects, it is necessary to water carefully everything that grows in the immediate environment,
- apply spraying soap solution, as described above, is permissible only once every seven days. Moreover, if liquid soap is used, it should be soft so as not to harm the plant.
To improve the effectiveness of the struggle with the shield, it is possible to alternate preparations. But we must not forget about caution, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the instructions and information about the drug, to carry out processing, observing all safety rules.
Tip # 2. If the drug, which is going to use, has not yet been tested, then you should not spray them all plants at once. We recommend that you test the spraying of only one and, assessing his condition in a day, decide whether this preparation is suitable for working with other plants.
Processing plants and trees
Shchitovka - very devious and difficult to destroy pests. Since they have excellent protection, as was mentioned above, a metal brush or scraper for the mechanical cleaning of tree bark is often the main tool in the fight against shields. This event is aimed at the destruction of the scutes and eggs hidden under them. And if the colony has grown very much, then it will be necessary to remove and burn infected branches or even plants.
If the seedlings turned out to be inhabited, then you need to wash them several times with laundry soap, before doing this with a brush. The top layer of the earth should undergo chemical treatment or replacement, which would be more correct. The older the tree, the harder it is to wash it, so after scraping it can be sprayed with suitable preparations, which are described in the table below. The method of application is indicated in the instructions attached to the preparation.
What drugs are better to make the soil
- Aktara. Used for spraying, but a greater effect is achieved when applied to the soil. For comparison: a protective action after spraying - 2-4 weeks, when introduced into the soil - 1.5-2 months.
- Confidor. Suitable for both spraying and irrigation. It has a low consumption rate and a long period of action. The main plus is that the active ingredient is in the leaves of the plant, and not in the fruit, therefore the toxicity for humans is zero.
Folk ways to deal with the shield
It may happen that for some reason it is impossible to use chemicals. That's when the folk remedies proven over the years will come to the rescue.
- Soap with garlic. Grate laundry soap, chop garlic with garlic crush. The ratio of garlic, soap and water: 1: 1: 3. Spray the affected plant, wash it with a stream of water a day later. Repeat once every three days until the flaps disappear completely.
- Infusion of onions. Chop four medium onions and, in a gallon of water, leave for 3-4 hours. Strain and spray.
- Infusion of bitter pepper. Fresh bitter pepper - 100 grams, water - 1 liter. Pepper, chop, boil in water for 10-15 minutes, insist during the day, filter, spray with the addition of green soap (per liter of water - ten grams of infusion and five grams of soap).
- Wood ash broth. 0.3 kg of wood ash pour boiling water (1 liter), boil for half an hour, cool, strain, pour broth into a ten-liter bucket with water, spray.
- Fern decoction. 1 kg of fresh fern insist in a ten-liter bucket of water a day, then bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for half an hour. Cool, strain, spray every day for a week.
- Infusion celandine. Fresh celandine - 3-4 kg, insist in ten liters of water a day or a little more. Spray or water.
Fighting the shield with non-chemical means
- Useful insect predators. The use of wasp parasites or ladybugs gives a stunning effect - you just need to release them on infected landings. After eating all the pests, these insects will be removed from the garden.
- Weak soap solution. Liquid soap - a couple of teaspoons, water - three and a half liters, mix gently, pour into a spray bottle and spray all the stems and leaves on one side and the other. After half an hour, rinse the applied mixture with a hose with cold water.
- Horticultural oil treatment.
Answers to frequently asked questions gardeners to combat shield
Question number 1. How to properly disinfect the garden before winter?
Preparing a garden for wintering consists mainly in spraying, which is best done when there are no leaves on the branches (October-November). If a tree is more than 6 years old, it is necessary to first release it from lichens and old bark using a metal brush. This is necessary in order to deprive the insect vectors of diseases of the place for wintering. After cleaning, the first treatment can be carried out with the necessary preparations. The second treatment affects not only the tree, but also the fallen leaves under it. The third, the latest, treatment is carried out after harvesting from the site of foliage, weeds and fallen branches, when the first frosts hit.
Question number 2. There is a shield, and there is also a false shield. What is the difference?
The shield has a flat shield - a part of an insect, it seems to have merged with the body, the false shield has a shield similar to a pea, which can be separated from the body of the pest. A shield can secrete a sticky liquid, a false shield is not. In principle, there is no difference for the gardener - the scythe hit a tree or a false guard. The means of dealing with them are the same.
Question number 3. How to protect the garden from the shield?
First of all - be sure and regularly inspect all plantings for pest damage. Use for planting only healthy material from special nurseries. To carry out the necessary work in the garden: dig up the soil, make fertilizer, thin out crowns, cut dry branches and basal growth, etc. Cut off the infected branches immediately, try to maintain the presence of insects such as ladybugs on your site, they are natural enemies of the guards and not only, carry out autumn disinfection of the garden.
Your browser does not support iframes!