Decoration is an interior decoration, a garden, a country site or a room improvement. Ornamental plants have long been used for this purpose. They will give a certain flavor to the surroundings, with their help, you can create comfort in the apartment or organize a unique design of the garden plot.
Ornamental plants perform the main task of design - to decorate. Their varieties and types depend on it. Allocate garden, indoor flowers and shrubs. All of them are cultivated plants.
Gardens grow trees and shrubs coniferous and deciduous. There are climbing species. Some of them have decorative foliage. They may have small inconspicuous flowers, but the leaves have a beautiful color or colored stripes.
Curly decorative vines can be strewn with flowers, like climbing roses and clematis, and can decorate fences and walls of buildings with leaves of unusual color, like Amur or girlish grapes.
The water world also needs to be decorated, and therefore there are plants created specifically for such purposes. In addition, such vegetation performs another important function: it maintains the biological balance of the aquatic environment.
Aquarium plants are divided into three categories:
- growing on the surface of the water - small duckweed, swimming riches, pistes, treading limnobium, azolla,
- rooting on the bottom - Indian fern, pygmy hemianthus, limnophila, vallyseria,
- growing in the water column - agagropila, javanese moss, monosolenium moss.
All these numerous species are called decorative. Which plants to choose for your garden plot, apartment or aquarium is a personal matter for each grower.
However, you should always follow the rules of care recommended for one or another representative of the natural kingdom.
What is ornamental plants
Ornamental plants are grown to fulfill their main function - decoration.
Depending on growing conditions, ornamental plants are divided into the following types:
If about garden and indoor plants it goes on, then the aquarium view deserves special attention.
Aquarium plants - this is aquatic vegetation, designed to maintain biological balance in the aquarium. There are three types of aquarium vegetation:
- rooting in the ground - Indian fern, few-flowered micrantemum, diminutive hemianthus, helper, pogostemon, valisneria, limnophila, etc.,
- floating in the water column - Javanese moss, monosolenium moss, egagropila and others,
- floating on the surface of the water - small duckweed, pistija, riccia floating, azolla, limnobium stalker.
Indian fern, in addition to the initial correct landing, does not require any care from the person. It has decorative dissected leaves of juicy green color and perfectly adjoins with other plants. Java moss is a fast-growing plant, therefore, requires only periodic cutting. Decorative and looks great in any neighborhood, is a reliable place for fish eggs. Small duck does not require special care, except for thinning, and, floating on the surface, shading the sunlight entering the aquarium. In addition to decorating the surface, it is also part of the diet of some fish.
How to choose plants: general recommendations
When planning the acquisition of ornamental plants, it is important to decide in advance on the desired qualities:
- what conditions of growth: in a flower bed, in the garden or in the conditions of an apartment,
- what are the requirements for lighting: light-loving, shade-tolerant or dim-shade,
- which vegetation period is preferred: annual or perennial,
- what type of decoration: tree, shrub or flowers,
- what size is expected in the future: short, medium-tall, tall,
- what is planned care: unpretentious or requiring special care,
- What is the allowable price when buying.
Depending on the definition of these criteria, further selection should be made.
Key representatives for the garden
The basic part of the garden, giving rise to future landscaping, are trees and shrubs, which, in turn, can be divided into coniferous and deciduous, as well as climbing and flowering ornamental plants.
All trees of the decorative type can be divided into conifers and leafy.
Coniferous trees with their evergreen and permanent forms are the salvation of the garden in the offseason. Vivid representatives of coniferous and ornamental trees are fir, thuja and cupressciparis.
Fir - perennial decorative evergreen tree, having a regular conical shape with a rounded tip. The needles are flat in their form, dark green fir needles with a milk strip at the bottom. It has a large varietal distribution and gray-green or blue-green shade of needles.
Thuja - perennial compact evergreen tree of the pyramidal form. Coniferous needles sustainable green color. Large volumes reaches only as they grow. Kupressciparis - perennial ornamental evergreen tree of kolonovidny form. It has branches of the upper direction of growth with small scaly leaves. The tree is fast growing and can reach 20 meters in height. The perennial conifers of the ornamental species also include common in our latitudes. spruce and pine tree.
Among deciduous ornamental trees are considered the most popular:
- maple canadian - tall deciduous tree with a dark cherry color foliage. It is frost-resistant, prefers light and half-shade, when landing does not like the darkened north side,
- fine-leaved elm - tall tree with openwork edging. It has a thick crown. A feature is the presence of fruits after flowering - an oval lionfish up to 1 cm in size,
- purple robe japanese - small tree with ovoid crown. The leaves are heart-shaped with contrasting veins. A special feature is the change in color of the foliage throughout the year from pink to blue-green. Does not differ in high frost resistance and does not suffer solar sites.
To other decorative deciduous trees can be attributed to all known birch, alder, chestnut and others.
Flowers are able to decorate even the most uncomplicated landscape in the All-Summer-Autumn season. But this result will result in a thoughtful and correct selection of varieties.
Depending on the expected growing season, garden flowers may be annuals or perennial.
One-year garden representatives are:
- crocus - bulbous plant with early flowering period (March-April). It is frost-resistant, it is not exacting in leaving, it likes to grow on light or semi-dark areas,
- brahikome - a flower with a summer period of flowering. Inflorescences of various colors, in appearance resembling daisies. Unpretentious, drought-resistant. Grown seed method
- laureate - a plant with bell-shaped peduncles blooming in the summer-autumn period. Propagated by seed, unpretentious care and resistant to frequent changes in weather conditions.
Often, well-known annuals such as petunia, nasturtium, bindweed, cornflowers, marigolds, etc. are also planted in garden plots.
Flowering perennials with seed-type reproduction are:
- Daisy - fast-growing plant with spatulate leaves and rosette flowering of various colors. The flowering period falls on the spring-summer season. Does not require special care and loves to grow in both sunny and shaded areas,
Known perennial flowers also include chamomile, peony, rose, bell, iris, etc.
Proper selection will help complement the garden's color palette and make the landscape unique during the warm months of the year.
Effectively decorate the room and create a comfort called indoor plants. You can divide them into these types:
- decorative leafy,
- decorative flowering