Many farmers prefer to keep chickens of combined productivity in their farms. Such a bird is remarkable in that it carries a large number of eggs and at the same time gains weight rather quickly. Carcasses in chickens of this variety, unlike laying hens, are suitable for cooking not only the first, but also the second course. One of the most interesting breeds of poultry meat and egg direction is Tsarskoye Selo. This variety deserves from farmers really very good reviews. Tsarskoye Selo breed of chickens (its description will be presented in the article) is unpretentious, resistant to cold and has a spectacular appearance.
A bit of history
This breed of hens was bred recently - just a few years ago. Its selection was carried out by VNIIGRH specialists. As parents, they used such breeds as New Hampshire and Poltava clay, as well as the broiler-6 hybrid provided by the Bolshevik breeding enterprise.
Tsarskoye Selo breed of chickens: general description
This variety, as already mentioned, belongs to the meat-and-egg direction of productivity. However, some experts rank it as a decorative group. Tsarskoye Selo chickens look quite impressive. Coloring they have a rare brown-striped. Such a feather in modern breeds is quite rare. The characteristic features of Tsarskoye Selo chicken include also:
long and wide body
dark tail with stripes
not too rough bones,
smooth, thick plumage, tight to the body,
medium length yellow legs.
A comb in Tsarskoe Selo hens can be both leaf-shaped and rose-like. The last species of the breed is more resistant to frost.
To unacceptable breed defects include white lobe, lack of banding, weak body, the presence of black in the plumage (except the Colombian zones).
Tsarskoye Selo chickens carry quite a lot of eggs - about 180 pcs. in year. In some cases, with good care, this indicator may be exceeded. For comparison: the bird of the egg direction of productivity bears an average of 250 eggs per year. The quality of this product in Tsarskoye Selo breed of chickens is also very good. Egg sizes are average - up to 59 grams. At the same time, according to many farmers, they have very good taste indicators.
The shell of the eggs of the bird of this breed has a pleasant light beige color. Tsarskoye Selo chickens rush at the same time year-round. Low temperatures on productivity in the cold season have virtually no effect. The plumage of these chickens is thick. Therefore, they practically do not reduce egg production in winter even in an unheated barn.
The Tsarskoye Selo chicken breed demonstrates good productivity indicators in terms of meat production. Adult hens can reach a weight of 2.2-2.5 kg, and males - up to 3.2 kg. Farmer doesn’t have to spend too much feed when growing this bird. Tsarskoye Selo chickens are fattened very quickly. At the same time, judging by the reviews, their meat is very tasty.
Pluses Tsarskoselsky chickens
There are quite a few breeds of mixed productivity today. These are, for example, Ukrainian fur hat, fireball, Yerevan, Rhode Island, Australorp and others. Tsarskoye Selo is a breed of chickens, which was relatively recent for egg production and high weight gain. Therefore, resistance, like old varieties, it is, unfortunately, no different. However, she still has a lot of advantages.
In addition to high productivity indicators, the Tsarskoye Selo hens have the following advantages:
excellent survival rate of young stock
resistance to all kinds of feathered diseases,
calm, balanced character.
Chickens Tsarskoselskaya breed of chickens are completely unpretentious. Outfall of young stock in a herd practically does not happen. Very rarely, unlike meat breeds, this bird also “falls to its feet”. Keep Tsarskoye Selo chickens in the compound allowed with any other economic living creatures. The males of this variety are not particularly bullied. Chickens can safely eat from one feeder with representatives of any other breeds.
So, the Tsarskoye Selo breed of hens has very good characteristics in terms of productivity. The description of this bird was given above, and it has a lot of advantages, as you can see. However, these chickens, of course, have some drawbacks. These include, first of all, the blurring of the color in part of the hatching. A farmer who wishes to support the breed will have to be rejected. That is why some experts consider Tsarskoye Selo chicken as a kind of not too complete and requiring improvement.
In the content of the Tsarskoye Selo breed of chickens, as already mentioned, is unpretentious. The shed for this bird will suit the usual one - insulated, well ventilated, dry, without drafts. Nests and feeders for chickens are collected in the usual way. Perches are made of poles and are set at a height of about 70-80 cm. It is advisable to have a walking place near the bird shed. Fresh air Tsarskoye Selo hens will benefit. The fence should be rabbits with a height of 2 meters.
With regard to feeding the Tsarskoye Selo bird, the farmer must follow certain rules. Due to a lack of nutrients, these chickens can stop laying eggs. When overfeeding they become fatty. In this case, egg production rates will also fall. Usually, these chickens are fed three times a day (grain - mash - grain). At the same time, premixes intended for poultry of mixed productivity are added to food. In the summer, if chickens have the opportunity to walk in the yard, if desired, you can go on two meals a day (in the morning - grain, in the evening - mash). At lunch in this case, it is advisable for the chickens to toss up fresh greens — cabbage leaves, carrot tops, soft grass, etc.
How to breed
It will be very easy to increase the number of Tsarskoye Selo chickens if desired on the farm. Unlike all kinds of hybrids, the maternal instinct in them is very well developed. Chickens hatch these chickens on their own. When breeding poultry of this breed in large farms, you can use, of course, the incubation method of hatching. The mode should follow the standard.
Tsarskoselskaya breed of chickens: reviews of farmers
The opinion of homeowners about this bird has been very good. Breed, as many farmers believe, this is still really flawed and can be attributed to the experimental group. However, in this case, according to the owners of household farms, it can be considered very promising. Judging by the reviews, from year to year Tsarskoye Selo chickens with a lubricated color hatch less and less. This means that the breed is becoming more stable.
Tsarskoye Selo chickens look like farmers, in fact, very impressive. With regard to indicators of productivity and simplicity, only good reviews also exist about them. This bird, according to owners of household farms, is carried steadily, practically without interruptions. For offspring, the hens are actually caring very carefully. At the same time, the young of this breed, in the opinion of many owners of farmsteads, are simply “not killed”. Immunity in chickens is very strong and resistant. Tsarskoselsky cockerels farmers advise to change more often - once a year.
Other popular varieties
Thus, we found out what the Tsarskoye Selo chickens represent (we reviewed the breed description, reviews, and performance indicators). The bird is not bad, but still experimental. Many farmers even believe that it cannot be attributed to the breed itself. Homeowner owners breed such chickens mostly simply “out of sports interest” or because of their beautiful unusual coloring. Those farmers who prefer stability should consider buying some other breed that is already established. This may be, for example:
Kuchinskaya anniversary (mixed direction of productivity),
Adler silver (meat and egg).
All these varieties are quite common, very popular, they deserve good reviews, they will not make any labor in acquiring their hatching eggs or chickens. Like the Tsarskoye Selo chickens, the Kokhinkhin, Kuchinskaya jubilee and Adlerskie - the breeds are very unpretentious and resistant to cold. Growing them is much easier than broilers. All these breeds show good productivity, including in the conditions of a difficult Russian climate.
Breed description Tsarskoselskaya
According to the external description they can characterize as having a good length, width, and depth with the presence of a sufficiently developed abdomen.
The body is painted in red color, having mottled and striped blotches of white and black, smoothly turning into a tail of a more saturated dark shade, also having a striped color.
Feathers are planted tightly, create a smooth surface. Coloring of this breed has the property is quite rare. This coloring has only two or three breeds in the world. The earlobes have a reddish tinge. The skin on the legs is bare, painted yellow. Foot length is medium.
If we briefly describe this breed, then we can say that it is a very beautiful, noble, calm, large and heavy bird, which is less prone to stressful situations.
- Worthy qualities of this breed is a high egg production rate, the overall weight of the egg and a rare type of coloring plumage.
- It can also be attributed to the good qualities of the early start of the process of laying eggs.
- They are excellent chickens, and later caring mothers.
- Meat is especially tasty due to the fact that they are well fed.
- The fact that the plumage densely covers the bird, speaks of the possibility of quietly enduring the cold season and laying eggs.
Content and cultivation
Birds are easy to maintain and maintain. They are not demanding and do not need special conditions for their livelihoods. Feeding also has no special requirements. A characteristic feature of the content is the endurance of these birds.
They are able to tolerate low temperatures., living in cold coops, easily adapting to them. This is achieved thanks to the high viability of these birds. Preferred for breeding this type of chickens will be areas of Russia, which have a northern location.
The breed is distinguished from other breeds of meat – egg and egg species by the fact that it has a high safety of its population. Another characteristic factor is resistance and weak susceptibility to various diseases.
Roosters gain weight, the minimum indicators of which are 2 kg 800 g, maximum - 3 kg 200 g.
The mass of chickens is from 2 kg to 200 g and reaches up to 2 kg 500 g.
The advantages of the breed in egg production are quite high, as well as in terms of meat productivity.
During the year, one chicken is capable of laying an average of 180 eggs. One egg has a weight of 58 - 59 grams, which is a good fact.
The color of the shell has brown tones: from light to darker.
Where can I buy in Russia?
Chickens are displayed:
- Farm "Oktyabrevskaya bird". Address: Vladimir region, Sobinsky district, village. Oktyabrevka, d. 51. www.oktobrevsky - farmer.rf. Phone: +7 (906) 749-48-40,
- Farm "Golden feathers". The farm is owned by Angelina and Alexander. Phone: +7 (910) 478-39-85,
- «Smolensk monastery". G. Smolensk, Perekopny lane, house 12 "a". Phones: +7 (910) 762-76-23, +7 (920) 668-06-22.
Based on the description of the characteristics of chickens, the breed of which is called Wyandot, we can conclude that it is similar to the Tsarskoye Selo breed. These birds are also resistant to cold, capable of laying eggs in the winter and are hardy.
Similar qualities with Tsarskoye Selo and Wyandot possess a breed of chickens, called the Kuchinsky Jubilee. It is characterized by a number of similar breed characteristics that determine its similarity with Tsarskoye Selo.
On the following video you can see the chickens of the Tsarskoye Selo breed:
Contain crumbs in a warm room. But, taking into account the fact that from the first days the offspring is resistant to cold, it is not necessary to be guided by the standards tables when setting the temperature regime. How many degrees you need chicks you can easily determine by their behavior.
If the chicks are cold, they gather in a handful and cling to the bodies of each other. Conversely, if the chicks are hot, they are lethargic, often sleep and have problems with appetite.
Feeding an adult herd
In the preparation of the diet should take into account important factors. First, it is necessary to take into account the age of the wedge. Young Tsarskoye Selo chickens need protein feed, and when they turn 1 year old, you can reduce the proteins in the menu. To make a balanced diet, you can use the following tips.
- It is recommended to divide the daily feedings into 3 meals. It is not recommended that there be a break more than 6 hours between intervals.
- Every day the herd needs to consume a sufficient amount of grain - up to 80 grams per individual. Among the main crops should be wheat. Oats, rye, corn, barley are also recommended in small quantities. Useful peas, cake sunflower seeds, bran, millet.
- From vegetables to chicken, almost everything is useful. You can apply them in the composition of the mash or separately.
- Sources of nutrients are greens and tops. In cold periods, you can add dried greens, harvested in granules or in the form of flour.
- Additionally, it is useful to yeast and germinate grain, especially in winter periods. As supplements, vitamin complex preparations - they can maintain health and performance during those periods when the herd cannot eat fresh greens.
- Minerals - the basis for the formation of strong testicles, as well as to maintain healthy skeleton. Always within reach should be a container with crushed shells or chalk.
- To all described above, it should also be added that the family of birds needs clean water. In addition, you can periodically add chicken yogurt.
Maintenance and care
Unpretentiousness and endurance are the dominant advantages of this species. Below are a few basic rules of care.
- Climate is not a problem at all for the Tsarskoye Selo. They adapt to any conditions, and even the most severe frosts they are not afraid. Initially, these quills were intended to be kept in the northern regions, but they can feel good anywhere. A winged family can winter with no heating, but it is not recommended to allow the temperature to drop below zero in the house.
- Given the fact that the quiver is active and restless, it needs space - on the walking yard and in the hen house.
- Arrangement of perches for such chickens is not necessary. Moreover, they will feel much more comfortable on the floor. Floor content will also protect overall birds from falling and injury.
- Layers need cozy nests in hidden places. For 5 hens there is enough 1 nest.
Shedding and breaking egg production
Even during the molting period, the hardy Tsarskoye Selo chickens are not weakened, like other representatives of birds. But, the molt can last about 2 months.
If the chickens have not started shedding themselves, compulsory stimulation will be needed. Maintain the health of feathered beauties with vitamins, nutritious food and fish oil.
At the age of one year old birds are fully formed and have a good body weight, so they can be sent for slaughter if necessary. But, at such an early age, the males are more often killed.
Chickens can serve as another 2 years as layers. After this, productivity indicators are rapidly falling!
Thanks to the scientists, the hen managed to acquire disease resistance. The breed is not afraid of colds, flu and viral infections.
But, it is still necessary to protect the family from parasites, as well as carriers of severe infections. Most often carriers are wild birds and rodents. Additional protection will be timely vaccination and good nutrition.
The origin of the breed
Tsarskoye Selo chickens are not an independent breed and are considered scientists, rather, as a population. They were bred in the Experimental Farm of the All-Russian Institute of Genetics and Breeding of Farm Animals (VNIIGRZH) and have a rare red-striped plumage.
In the breeding process, the purpose of which was to obtain a productive bird for the domestic farms, Poltava clay, red-striped broilers of the Broiler-6 and New Hampshires cross-country took part.
At present, work on the creation of the perfect Tsarskoye Selo breed continues: genetics plan to bring out a qualitative species, suitable not only for the master yard, but also for larger breeding in large poultry farms.
Описание породы, продуктивность и фотографии
Tsarskoye Selo chickens belong to a versatile meat and egg direction and are distinguished by good productivity in combination with attractive external data. The motley color of birds gives the right to refer them to the category of ornamental, and the instability of the color of the plumage refers these chickens more to the population than to the breed.
Describing these chickens, we can say that they are beautiful, noble, large birds with a surprisingly calm disposition. They are less prone to stressful situations and are good at contacting the person and neighbors in the dwelling. However, the roosters have a fearless temper and, if necessary, are able to protect their family from an impending threat.
In addition, these birds have strong immunity, resistance to various diseases and infections, endurance and vitality. Birds are able to rush even in cold unheated premises, which allows breeding in the harsh conditions of Siberia, the North and the Far East.
Externally, the hens of the Tsarskoye Selo breed are proportionally folded, and they can be distinguished by the following characteristic features:
- rather long, wide and deep-set body,
- well developed belly,
- a small head on a long neck
- legs of medium length with bare skin yellow,
- beak gray-yellow color,
- earlobes reddish
- earrings are satisfied with large saturated red color,
- feathers are planted tightly and form a smooth surface.
A specific feature of the breed is the specific color of the plumage: the body, endowed with red color and having striped and variegated inclusions of black and white hue, gradually turns into a striped tail of a more saturated dark color.The build of Tsarskoye Selo chickens is proportional and strong.
Such a rare coloring of plumage is characteristic only for two or three species on the planet. As for the chickens, they are born orange or red color with white patches.
Important. Depending on the shape of the ridge, Tsarskoye Selo chickens are divided into two types: those with a leaf-like crest and rose-shaped. It is noteworthy that individuals with a pinkish ridge tolerate cold and frost more easily.
Efficiency of chickens
Chickens of this breed begin to rush from the age of six months (5-6 months), giving about 180 eggs per year. 3-4 times a week, they lay rather large eggs, weighing about 58-59 grams with a light or dark brown shell. Having provided the hen with the right balanced nutrition, a caring owner will receive egg products in the winter.
Many experienced poultry farmers say that chickens rush well at any age, despite the presence of genetic features of meat and non-egg broilers. From chickens excellent hens and attentive mothers turn out.Tsarskoselsky chickens produce about 180 eggs weighing about 60 grams per year.
Tsarskoye Selo chickens have a strong and muscular body, and their live weight does not exceed 3.2 kg. Chickens reach a weight of about 2.2-2.5 kg, and roosters reach 2.8-3.2 kg. Their meat has good taste, tenderness and juiciness. Since chickens quickly gain weight and become salable, breeding this breed is quite profitable.
The breed of chickens Welzumer is a bird that gives eggs with brown shells.
All about the peculiarities of keeping and breeding the Cochin Chicken breed.
Conditions of detention and care
Birds Tsarskoye Selo breed unpretentious in maintenance and care. They do not require the creation of special conditions for vital activity and are distinguished by their special endurance. In winter, it is not necessary to engage in weatherization, as these birds tolerate low temperatures and can comfortably live in a cold room. The organization of the place of walking also does not require special measures.
For Tsarskoye Selo hens, it is advisable to equip a standard house with an area of 1 square meter. meter for 5-10 birds. Nests are placed in secret places at a height of one meter from the ground. For 5 hens there is enough 1 nest. Drinking bowls should also be at a slight elevation, and feeders should be chosen with sides so that birds do not scatter feed.Birds Tsarskoye Selo breed unpretentious in maintenance and care.
Chickens of this breed need free-range, can live in cages or graze on the lawns. Like any breed, they need the cleanliness of the room in which they live. Therefore, it is necessary to regularly carry out cleaning work. But in general, these chickens are picky in content and little susceptible to various diseases. Due to their high viability, it is preferable to breed them in the northern regions of Russia.
Nutrition chickens and the necessary diet
The breed is different in that it is completely unpretentious in the diet. For good egg production, food should be balanced, and nutrition should be rational. Half of the daily ration consists of grain crops (wheat, oats, corn, rye and barley), and the other half - succulent feed, legumes and fresh greens.
Important. In the preparation of the diet should be considered the age of the hens. Young ears are particularly in need of a protein menu, and only after the year is reached can the amount of proteins be reduced.Half of the daily diet is cereals.
When feeding Tsarskoye Selo hens, the following rules should be followed:
- The daily feed consumption per individual is approximately 120 grams, but in the summer, chickens are able to produce food for themselves, which significantly reduces the amount of feed consumed,
- daily feeding should be divided into 3 doses, while the break between them should not be more than 6 hours,
- It is useful to add to the diet cake, peas, sunflower seed, bran, tops and greens,
- Almost all vegetables are useful to chickens - they can be given both separately and as part of mash.
Multivitamin supplements and feeds may be needed only by chickens, but adults are remarkably cost-effective because of what the host gives. However, in winter, you should not neglect the vitamins for adult birds - their presence in the body directly affects egg production rates.
Also, in order to improve the productivity, minerals, for example, with chalk, crushed shells or eggshell, should come into the body of chickens.In the summer Tsarskoselsky chickens actively eat fresh greens.
Due to the natural features in the form of accelerated metabolism, Tsarskoye Selo hens have excellent muscle growth even with minimal food intake.
Feathered beauties are absolutely not problematic in terms of breeding. Eggs are well fertilized, and during incubation breeding there is a chance to get 100% of the offspring (we recommend reading the article about the incubator The Layer Bi-1 and Bi-2).
But the main advantage of the breed is that the chickens have not lost their ability to brooding and become excellent mothers. They never leave their nest with eggs until the last chick hatch. After the appearance of chickens, mothers continue to take care of them and, starting from the second week of life, teach their chicks how to get food on their own.
The average survival rate of chickens is 98%, but with proper care, you can save the whole brood. Chickens have the ability to grow quickly and gain muscle mass, without requiring special conditions of detention.Chickens breed Tsarskoye Selo well and grow quickly.
The advantages and disadvantages of growing
The undeniable advantages of the Tsarskoye Selo breed include:
- high egg production and overall weight of eggs,
- endurance, unpretentiousness in care, resistance to diseases, good adaptability to any climatic conditions,
- earlier start laying eggs
- having the ability to incubate and maternal instinct,
- rapid muscle growth and tasty meat,
- unusual type of color plumage.
The disadvantage can only be considered the fact that this breed of birds is not fully developed and requires confirmation of the breed traits. As for the rest, Tsarskoye Selo hens are a good and profitable investment of funds.
Olga I originally had 6 chickens and 2 roosters. One layer died due to the prolapse of the oviduct. I decided to calculate the average egg production of my chickens and it turned out that in 8 months the average Tsarskoye Selo individual gives 164.7 eggs. This is despite the fact that they are kept in an unheated hen house, without additional lighting and feed. At the end of August, the chickens molted and stopped giving eggs. From my observations I want to note that this breed is more demanding on protein feed than others.
Natalia. Tsarskoselsky chickens I really like. At 2.5 months, the roosters were already eating, and at 3 months they scored one for meat. Net weight without paws, offal and head was 1800 grams - for our conditions of detention it is a very good indicator. The bird is very tasty. I kept them in the aviary, very well fed. The breed has a fairly good brood - out of 28 eggs, 23 are hatching. In addition, they are incredibly beautiful and have an unusual pleasant color.
The easiest way is to purchase these birds in the North-Western part of Russia (it was developed for the North of our country). Since the late 2000s. Tsarskoye Selo chickens are gaining popularity among fans. In addition to the St. Petersburg branch of VNIIGRZh, they can be purchased from numerous breeders.
The price for an incubation egg starts at 60 rubles. The sale of chickens begins closer to the summer, the daily allowance is around 100 rubles. (prices for season 2016). However, Tsarskoye Selo chicken is most often sold by families: a rooster and 1-2 hens: in this case, pricing depends on the appetites of the seller.
The bird of this species is common user. Breeding work on the creation of a first-class population of chickens lasted several years. The goal of Leningrad scientists was the breeding of a highly productive breed with good adaptability to cold climatic conditions. Beautiful, eye-catching appearance, was not originally planned by the creators.
Breeders, liked the color of a red cat, and they decided to capture it on the plumage of a chicken
First of all, they cared about the economic benefits of the future breed. However, in the last decades of the last century, the specialists who worked on the new species liked the juicy color of the red cat, and they decided to capture it on the plumage of the chicken. This idea was a success: soft orange notes effectively distinguish this bird from other varieties. Many poultry farmers admire the unusual appearance of birds even more than the characteristics of egg production, for example.
This is a very beautiful and aristocratic bird. By nature, she is calm, resistant to stressful situations and is quite promising for breeding in the northern regions due to her endurance and ability to adapt to low temperatures.
Tsarskoye Selo breed belongs to the decorative, meat and egg breed of chickens. In terms of dimensions, it is a typical example of this trend - heavy and massive. The body has the shape of a trapezoid: long, deep and wide, with a well-developed abdomen and chest. The birds are quite large, the hips are well developed, the length of the legs is average.
The live weight of roosters ranges from 2.8 to 3.2 kg, chickens from 2.2 to 2.5 kg, adults can gain up to 2.8 kg. During the year, laying hens give approximately 180 eggs of a light coffee color, weighing up to 60 g.
Birds look massive and colorful, not only due to the dense texture. Luxurious fluffy plumage also visually adds additional weight to their figures. A marker of this variety of chickens is a red-striped color.
Roosters have more juicy and elegant plumage
In the color range of plumage are predominantly red tones. Roosters, as befits males, have a more juicy, rich and elegant plumage. Females look more modest: the color of feathers is not as catchy and of paler shades. The feathers of birds of this breed are lined with a non-uniform reddish stripes pattern: a dark fragment alternates with a light one. In some cases there are grayish-black inserts. The tail is usually dark-striped, the crest is leaf-shaped or rosy, the earlobes are red and the paws are yellow. Even the eggshell is painted in a beautiful brown color.
Tsarskoselskaya chicken coloring is quite rare. Only 2 or 3 breeds in the world can boast with such plumage.
Varieties of Tsarskoye Selo breed
Birds of this breed are of two species, differing from each other in the type of ridge:
Birds born with a pink scallop are better adapted to the harsh Russian winters, while owners of a leaf-like comb are more susceptible to changing weather conditions during the winter season.
Frost resistance and the ability to lay eggs in the cold season makes this species similar to the Viandot hens. According to its characteristics is close to these breeds and Kuchinsky Jubilee.
Content of adult chickens
Since the change of weather conditions, especially towards the strong cooling characteristic of Russian winters, is not a problem for Tsarskoye Selo chickens, they do not require the installation of special pavilions or buildings with a high fence. From the very beginning, they were created to be frost-resistant, respectively, the birds will feel comfortable in any weather. In winter, heating may not be necessary in the house, but care should be taken that the temperature indicator does not fall below zero.
In winter, heating may not be necessary in the house.
Formation of roosts for layers is also not mandatory. Rather, on the contrary, they will feel more comfortable on the floor. In this form of content there is one significant advantage: floor placement will protect these large-sized birds from accidental fall or injury. The females themselves will build themselves cozy nests in isolated, remote places, and only one nest for 5 layers is enough. Also Tsarskoye Selo females are energetic and restless creatures, and in the intervals between clutches they need space. Care must be taken to ensure that they have enough space on the walking yard. Otherwise, small household fights between the female half of the chicken coop can occur from time to time.
Floor placement will protect birds from accidental falling.
Chickens are recommended to be kept in well-equipped warm rooms. However, one should not focus too much on providing the kids with a comfortable temperature regime. Like adults, from the first days of their birth, they show enviable resistance to cold climatic conditions and are not susceptible to those diseases that can occur during sudden temperature changes. The degree of comfort in chicks can be easily ascertained by observing their behavior. When babies are cold, in search of a source of heat, they instinctively nestle against each other or stick together in one fluffy pile. If chicks are hot or stuffy, they become lethargic, sleep constantly and lose their appetite.
Chickens exhibit enviable resistance to frost
Features of the diet
In scheduling feeding and menu of birds, it is necessary to consider a number of factors. First of all, the age of the females should be taken into account. For example, Tsarskoye Selo pullets should be given food with a high protein content, and upon reaching 12 months, you can already reduce the amount of protein in their daily diet.
- The case is rather large, trapezoidal, elongated, widely and deeply seated.
- A small head, planted on a long neck.
- Chest, tummy and back wide.
- Legs are medium, not pubescent, yellow-gray.
- The hips are well developed.
- The beak is gray-yellow.
- Serrate scallop in the form of a leaf or pinkish, bright red.
- Large earrings and earlobes are bright red.
- Downed, fluffy feathers that streamline the surface of the body.
- The color of the hens is somewhat lighter than that of the roosters. Feathers of red shade, with dark stripes smoothly flowing into light.
- The plaits in the tail of both roosters and chickens may be black in color or speckled (with gray patches).
In the nature of this poultry can be traced some kindness:
- Calm disposition, favor and lack of aggression towards a person.
- Sometimes a rooster can arrange a showdown with a fellow, if the family is not properly formed, or if there is not enough space for the family.
- Friendliness towards other inhabitants of the barnyard.
- Activity, curiosity and courage.
- Low exposure to stress.
- Fearlessness and readiness to defend your family in case of danger.
Weight gain and meat taste
The meat of Tsarskoselsky chickens has excellent taste, soft and juicy. Males and females have following indicators in weight gain:
- the average weight of roosters reaches over 3 kg,
- chickens can gain 2.8 kg.
Puberty and annual egg production
The productivity indicators of Tsarskoye Selo chickens are as follows:
- From 5-6 months of age, females begin to actively rush 3-4 times a week.
- Egg production - up to 180 pieces per year.
- Eggs are large, weighing 58-60 grams, with a shell of light brown or brown color.
- С самого начала яйцекладки молодые несушки производят довольно крупные яйца, и могут нестись даже в самый холодный период года.
Рацион взрослых кур
Сбалансированное кормление взрослых несушек обеспечат следующие useful tips:
- Кормление надо производить в три приема, между которыми должен быть промежуток не более 6 часов.
- Up to 80 grams of wheat per grain, as well as grains and fruits of the following crops (in small quantities): oats, rye, corn, barley, peas, wheat, sunflower, should be fed per bird per day.
- Prepare mash with vegetables or serve vegetables separately.
- In the feed add cake, bran, herbs and duckweed.
- In winter, dried herbs are added to the diet in the form of granules or flour.
- In winter, yeast and germinated grain will be beneficial.
- In winter, vitamin (especially multivitamin) supplements in feed are necessary.
- The presence of additional containers with crushed chalk or small shells is obligatory. They will serve as a source of minerals for the normal functioning of the skeleton of birds, as well as the formation of egg shells.
- Clean water in drinking bowls is also a necessary attribute.
- Periodically, you can pour in drinkers sour milk.
Feeding the chickens should have a high content of protein foods and be 5-6 times a day. In the first five days of life, their food should consist of following feed:
- Compound feed with shredded vegetables and herbs.
- Finely chopped hard-boiled egg mixed with dill.
- Egg with the addition of boiled millet, wheat or corn chop.
- Pure water in drinking bowls, sometimes with the addition of potassium permanganate light pink solution.
- Wet and dry mash.
- Dairy products - fresh cottage cheese and sour milk.
- Baker's yeast.
- Herbal and coniferous flour.
- Tops, carrots, greens, duckweed.
- Fish oil mixed with cereal.
The poultry housing should be equipped as follows:
- The bird house should be located on a high place of the site so that there will not be flooding during the downpours and spring floods.
- A solid concrete foundation is required for the construction, so that predators cannot penetrate the room through the tunnel.
- The walls of the shed, it is desirable to build from wooden boards or logs.
- The area of the house should be calculated based on the number of birds - 1 square. m to 7-10 individuals.
- The floor is made of wood, covered with hay, straw or sawdust.
- The litter needs to be changed periodically so that the hen’s house will always be clean and dry.
- Nests are placed at a meter height from the floor, at the rate of 1 nest for 5 hens.
- The location of the drinkers should be comfortable, slightly elevated, so that the birds do not overturn them and cannot wet the plumage and the floor.
- Feeders should be equipped with bumpers.
- Lighting the house in winter is necessary, as it can extend the time of hatching eggs.
- There are no special requirements for weatherization, since the birds of this breed are resistant to low temperatures.
Like other domestic chickens, Tsarskoye Selo pets love free range, which can be organized in two ways:
- Let them graze in the meadow.
- Organize them a walking yard or aviary.
Space for walking in the aviary is made as follows:
- A dry place for walking is fenced off with the use of a fine-mesh metal mesh, butting the fence close to the hen house. It is important that the net is intact, otherwise the birds will injure themselves about them.
- The bottom of the grid is fixed by digging it into the ground by about 50 cm.
- A canopy over the walking space is being built, which will shelter the feathered inhabitants from showers and the scorching sun.
How to endure cold
A characteristic feature of Tsarskoye Selo hens is endurance and resistance to cold. This breed, as mentioned above, was bred specifically for the cultivation and maintenance in the northern regions of Russia. Therefore, the birds feel comfortable in a cold coop, adapting to it without any particular difficulties.
Pros and cons of breed
A large number of positive qualities makes this breed attractive for breeding. Here is a list main advantages:
- High egg-laying.
- Eggs overall weight.
- A high percentage of egg fertility and progeny survival.
- Resistance to low temperatures.
- Unpretentiousness in nutrition.
- High adaptation and undemanding to the content.
- A good instinct for breeding offspring.
- Strong immunity and disease resistance.
- Fast weight gain and high quality meat.
- Decorative look.
There are some disadvantages:
- Breed in the process of study, therefore, has not yet confirmed breed characteristics.
- Difficulties in acquiring eggs, young and adult individuals due to the rarity and small size of the breed.
Reviews of Tsarskoye Selo chickens
For the monastery on the egg and meat is a beautiful bird. I have them in the general herd, they are distinguished by a large (slightly smaller size from Yurlovsky) size and body shape, not wild, the egg is large. Sometimes the coloring brings, but if people are not at the exhibition, then they are happy. This year I also want to take an egg and try individually to do it.
So, despite the few drawbacks, Tsarskoye Selo chickens have a large number of advantages. This makes them attractive to many poultry breeding enthusiasts with natural beauty and excellent performance.